Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Baby and I (Movie)

As Zazi so aptly pointed out, I really don't have anything better to do that watch dramas and write about them. Mostly because I've been putting off packing for college. So here's another one

I originally decided to watch this movie just because it had Jang Geun-suk in it. I excpected it to be a lot like the manga, Aishteruze Baby. Cute and entertaining, but not something I'd devote too much time to.

I started watching it this afternoon while eating my lunch of a small sandwich, blueberries, and a granola bar (holy god, I hate dieting. When I say small, I mean small. Like, it was on a freaking dinner roll). The first scene involved Geun-suk's character, Han Joon-su, running around looking for someone to breast feed this baby, Woo-ram (played by Mason Moon). And the baby replied to Geun-suk's exclaimation of why couldn't he just drink formula (or so I thought at the time). I'm sure you can imagine my face. Talking baby? Breast obsession? What the hell was this movie about?

Turns out it was about a troublemaker high school kid that get's a mysterious (and effing adorable, I must say) baby dumped on him by an unknown person, after his parents "run away" to teach him a lesson. There were also the necessary side plots of a girl with a crush on him, his friend's sick mom, and the super gay momma's boy getting bested by the girl that had a crush on him.

For most of the movie, Joon-su is meerly trying to survive with this baby. Surviving includes getting kicked out of school, "accidently" leaving said baby on the train, and getting arrested for trying to steal a guy's wallet because he ran out of money. After all this, his parents finally come home from their vacation, find out about the baby, and agree to help take care of it and get him back into school. But, surprise of all surprises, the baby gets sick. While the baby is sick, Joon-su finds out that it isn't really his baby. It's his friend's (the one with the sick mom). He dumped the baby on Joon-su so it could have a better life. Predictably, Joon-su gets mad, gives the baby back, and pretends not to miss him. Eventually, the friend decides to give the baby up for adoption. Of course this leads to a touching airport scene where Joon-su begs for his baby back, screaming and crying. I was all ready to be sad and tear up, but lo and behold, he gets the baby back.

The movie is actually a lot more interesting than it seems. It was really cute and funny. And in case you were wondering, the baby doesn't really talk. What you get to hear are his thoughts. Which are by far the funniest part of the movie.

As for the characters, they're pretty typical, but interesting. Kim Byoel, the girl with a crush on Joon-su, is some super genius with eight brothers and sisters. Joon-su is a typical rebel rich kid. Woo-ram (the baby) is the most adorable baby ever. He is why I want asian babies. Not because I like asian men (though I do, I sure sure do), but because they're just cuter than white babies, or any other race of baby for that matter. Look, I have proof!




That's baby Mason! CUTEST THING EVER! He's even the MC of the Korean show "Good Daddy". Ok, granted, he's only half asian. But that means if I marry an asian, my kids will be this adorable. And I totally just became a fan of him on Facebook, just so you know.
 

1 comment:

  1. (I wish there was just a general comment section since this has nothing to do with post)I like the new background! Also I hope you post more reviews soon, and maybe someday I'll take the time to actually watch one- really I think I'm going to end up waiting till I'm at your house and we just choose to watch one (like with banana jesus (was that the one?...not sure)). ANYWAYS. Post soon, this includes you Steph!.....ttyl

    ReplyDelete